PACrossmatch Job Board - Physician Assistant - Surgery
Job DescriptionThe MetroWest Medical Center is the largest healthcare system between Worcester and Boston and is committed to meeting the health care needs of the MetroWest region by providing advanced care with a community touch. The 319-bed regional health care system includes Framingham Union Hospital, Leonard Morse Hospital in Natick and the MetroWest Wellness Center.
Physician Assistant/Nurse Practitioner
Work schedule would be:
Full time, days/nights/weekends rotating. Opportunity for flexible scheduling, including full time nights and weekends, 24 hour shifts and 7-on-7-off, OR call opportunity. Recommended # of shifts per month = 14-16.
The Surgical Physician Assistant/Nurse Practitioner (PA/NP) at Metrowest Medical Center (MWMC) performs duties to assist the Department of Surgery in the inpatient, outpatient and operating room setting, as well as in emergency situations, adhering to standard practices and established procedures of MWMC and conforms to the Massachusetts laws governing PA/NP practice. The PA/NP ensures quality and safe delivery of care to patients in the following age groups: Neonate; Infancy; Toddler; Preschool; School age; Adolescent; Adult; Geriatric. Growth of the Surgical Program is facilitating additional FTE’s for coverage on day, evening, and weekend shifts.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Assists in performing physical examinations as directed. Obtains medical histories, records pertinent data as required. Assists at surgery and in emergency situations as required or directed, following department protocols and procedures as outlined. Performs basic and advanced life support procedures as necessary.
2. Arranges for admission of patients under the direction of supervising physicians. Arranges diagnostic tests. Performs in house and emergency consultations under the direction of the supervising surgeon.
3. Performs inpatient rounds with or under the direction of the supervising surgeon. Records and signs patient progress notes. Enters specific orders at the direction of supervising physician. Compiles and records detailed narrative care summaries and other forms pertinent to patient's medical record.
4. Obtains appropriate authorizations required for all treatments and medication orders, written and verbal, as outlined in the department of surgery protocols and procedures. Writes and signs preliminary discharge summaries and outpatient forms as allowed, including necessary medical care instructions.
5. Acts as a liaison between all members of the treatment team. Attends academic and administrative meetings and seminars as required. Assists in mentoring of surgical residents and physician assistant students.
6. Expectation to pick up an appropiate number of moonlighting shifts, at minimum 4 per month.
Duties include but not limited to:
All same day post operative patient checks are completed with notes
Discharge Summaries are completed through dictation or electronic resources in preparation for evening discharge or early AM discharge the following day.
Evaluate, assess, and treat all emergency room consults relative to surgical complaints. Perform assessment and triage ER patients in accordance to admission criteria or transfer to another setting.
Coordinate collaboration with nursing, staff emergency room physicians, and on-call surgeon to expedite patient care.
History & Physical completed for Admissions and proper order sets utilized
Upon evening rounds, all dressing changes, wound checks, and necessary procedures will be completed prior to morning sign-off.
Surgical round in the ICU and other critical care units, with proper notation in the medical record.
Efficiently first-assist any covering physician in the hospital with surgery-related cases in the operating room or minor procedures if needed.
KNOWLEDGE, EXPERIENCE, AND OTHER JOB REQUIREMENTS:
Completion of a Bachelor’s Degree plus two years in an accredited specialized Physician's Assistant Program.
National certification required to be licensed in Massachusetts. Recertification required every 6 years.
Minimum of one year of experience in a related area.
Frequent exposure to patient elements and emergency situations as they arise. Regular walking and standing, lifting light to moderate weights, and bending or stooping during course of duties.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of the work being performed by people assigned this job. They are not exhaustive lists of all duties, responsibilities, knowledge, skills, and abilities and working conditions associated with the job.
MetroWest Medical Center offers a very competitive salary and benefits package which includes:
Health and life insurance after 30 days
Generous paid time off program
Please visit our website for additional information at www.mwmc.com. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and value diversity in our workplace.